Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

The Fickle Hobbyist on Facebook

Abby’s French Lavender Party

After weeks of designing and planning, Abby’s French Lavender party came and went.  I have to say, things went pretty smoothly.  I was very happy with the end result.

If you remember this was the inspiration for the party.

I have to say, it turned out just how I was planning.  I DID abandon the actual lavender after much internal debate.  I figured kids wouldn’t be too keen on the lavender flavored lemonade, and really I wanted to make them happy with the food and drink, so plain lemonade and vanilla and chocolate cupcakes it was.

Here are some pictures of the party.

First was my Amy Atlas inspired dessert table.  I am constantly amazed by Amy’s gorgeous tables and really looked to her for inspiration.  I hope I did her proud.  (who am I kidding?  she’ll never see this.  haha)

(you can click on the image to view it larger)

Here are a few close ups of the details.  This is Abby’s actual silhouette.  I used the same technique I did HERE way back in February.

Of course you’ll remember the Eiffel Tower that I made. Also notice the Old Fashioned Lollipops. (those were a big hit) I used the same mold to make the candy coating white ones.

Here you’ll see the cupcake toppers that I featured in the post HERE.

The cupcakes were for the guests, but Abby got the top cake all to herself.  She was nice enough to share with her sister, though.  (Who ate only the marshmallow fondant and left the chocolate because she “doesn’t like chocolate” this week.)

This was only my second time working with marshmallow fondant, but this time was significantly more simple.  I found a great tutorial video on youtube that had a way easier method than the one I used before.  Perhaps you’ve made it before and you’ve had to knead in the melted marshmallows by hand?  I would highly recommend using the mixer with the dough hook!  I don’t even have a Kitchenaid.  I just used a hand mixer and it worked amazingly well.  My fondant took probably 10-15 minutes to make which is FAR less time spent than doing it by hand.

The “A” on top is just some melted candy coating stuck to two lollipop sticks.  I used a purple pearl dust on the purple fondant and it was SO pretty!

I found some purple cotton candy at Kroger last week and promptly picked it up.  HOWEVER, while it looks ok for about 10 minutes, I would recommend against using cotton candy on the dessert table.  (I think I remember reading on the Amy Atlas blog that she had the same problem)  The cotton candy MELTED into a big sugar blog.  haha  You can see that it’s starting to wilt even in these pictures.  It doesn’t fare well in Houston humidity, even with the AC on full blast.

Right next to the dessert table, we had the drink table set up.  It was arranged on the coffee table which worked out perfectly for the little kids to be able to get their own lemonade.

I have to say, though small, I think the water bottles were my favorite detail.

Although, the straws were pretty cute too.  (they say “quench” in French)

I didn’t take a close up of these cookies on the table, but I had to share.  Did you know you can buy the frosting paper at your local bakery for around $5 a sheet?  I arranged 12 monograms on one sheet and bought the sugar cookies and frosting at the bakery.  Shhh, don’t tell all my secrets!  The baker actually gave me a “messed up” sheet free because the side monograms were cut off, so I got 4 extras.

Abby was SO delighted with her party!  It warmed my heart to know that she really enjoyed herself.

She got to spend the day coloring, making crafts, having a tea party, eating cake, opening presents, and most of all; enjoying the company of some of her best friends.

It was a great day, and SO worth all the planning and preparation!

I recall reading on Amy’s blog in the comments, one lady said something along the lines of “The only reason these tables look so amazing is because of the display materials.  No one can do this on a budget.”  (she means like the vases, etc.)  I am here to say It’s not so!!!

ALL the vases and things you see on the dessert table are from the Goodwill.  The ONLY thing I bought at a non second hand store was the frame holding Abby’s silhouette, and even then it was 50% off at Hob Lob.  I even got the lemonade dispenser at GW for $6!!  So if you think you can’t create a cost efficient dessert table, I just want to say that it just takes some time scouring the shelves (I’ve been collecting these for a couple months) and a little imagination.  I designed and printed all of the decorations too, so it can be done.  Yeah, it’s definitely a lot of work, but if you’re like me (and if you’re reading a blog like mine, chances are you are) you enjoy this type of thing anyway.  Dive in and make it the best party ever!

-Autumn

The Girl Creative UndertheTableandDreamingSumo Sweet StuffMaking All Thingz Related BWS tips buttonFine Craft GuildLife as LoriHookingupwithHoH

24 Responses to “Abby’s French Lavender Party”

• Jody says:

Autumn, this is beautiful…it came out amazing…I bet she loved it! I do.

• Autumn's Mom says:

Everything was so beautiful! Abby look thrilled!! Glad she had a great time.

• jan hollaway says:

What a good job you did! It sure looks like a lot of work but I’m sure it was well worth it.

• Haley Davis says:

OMG! That is sooooooo fabulous! I just can’t tell you how much I like it!!! Fabulous job!!!!

• Julie says:

I LOVE everything about it! I am a French fanatic & I may just need to use some of these ideas someday!

• malia says:

ok this is darling– this would be my ultimate bday party!

• Erin says:

It looks amazing! Way to go, and happy birthday to Abby!

• Oh, this is lovely. Amazing job! I love the lavender colors and the “French” theme. I’ve never heard of frosting paper before. Is it like an edible decal transfer? And I completely agree about the budget concept. I did a dessert table for my twin girls’ birthday in May, using platters and vessels I already had (you can see pics on my blog). The only “display” items I bought were a few flowers, balloons, and one 3-tier serving tray that I picked up at Target for under $10. The dessert table took a lot of time (and mine didn’t have half the details yours does!), but it was fun and my girls loved it. Thanks for posting about yours – it’s beautiful!

• Autumn says:

Yes, the frosting paper is the edible decal. It’s the stuff they use to put photos on cakes, for example.

• Kim says:

How pretty! I found you on Anything Related.

• Jacqueline says:

Nice catching up with you through The Girl Creative. What a lovely party and what a lucky little girl. I have made the marshmallow fondant and did a post on it. Isn’t it wonderful. So easy to color and so workable. I always put a little almond in mine. You had so many cute ideas for the monogram cookies, the water bottles the cupcake toppers. Thanks, it was so fun learning from you.

• Autumn says:

Ooh, I bet the almond is good in the fondant. I had some too. I’ll definitely try that with Jocelyn’s cake in two weeks. Thanks for the tip!

• Great Job Mom!! Love the water bottles also – who knew cotton candy would wilt!!

Saw you on All Thingz Related!

• Simply Stunning! Every detail is amazing! You did a fantastic job – The purple and black is so pretty! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

• Hi Autmn! Just wanted to let you know I’ll be featuring your party today. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for linking up to The Sunday Showcase. ~ Stephanie Lynn

• Beautiful! Love the colors and details! I’ll be featuring on Everyday Celebrating!

• SarahJane says:

What an adorable party! I saw your picture as I was linking my son’s party and had to stop by! I love the cake and the purple cotton candy.

• Wendy says:

This is absolutely ADORABLE!!!
    I just returned from a trip to Paris and the South of France and I absolutely love how this birthday party incorporated those two areas!! I miss smelling the lavender everywhere I walked in Provence! (And I bet lavender lemonade would have been good, but I agree, the kiddies might not have been quite so fond!)

Great job!!! :) Oh, and I found you through linking up at All Thingz Related!

• Kelly says:

Great theme! My oldest is turning 16 loves everything French and Parisian. This is the perfect idea for her party. Thanks for sharing!

• allison says:

OH wow! It looks great!!! The banner is similar to what I’m doing for my daughter’s party. Thank you for inspiring me by how polish and put together it was..now I need to get started on my party planning.

• Wow. That’s a wonderful collection of party decor tutorials. I love it.

Actually, our readers would love it too! Why not link it to our Wednesday Weekly Fine Craft Guild DIY TUTORIAL party?

This way you’ll get a link back to your site and more people will find out about you.

You can add your BEAUTIFUL party-tutorial-collection here: http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-4/

• Rebekah says:

What a beautiful, yummy party!!

Thanks for joining us @ Anything Related!!

• Bird says:

STUNNING!! Love anything French!! Très Chic!! :)
    Love,
    Bird

• Keers says:

Wow! You are amazing. I am so glad you were featured on Tea Rose Home. I can’t wait to browse around a little more.